Monday, January 5, 2009

Old School Love

Moments ago, I was suddenly blessed by The O'Jays pouring honey-like lyrics through the radio singing, "Lovin you has made my life much sweeter baby. Baby since I've got you, everything is alright." Hmmm, I haven't heard that in some years. I may be in my late 20's, but I am an Old School R&B girl at heart. To experience a taste of what I just felt, listen to a clip of the song here: http://www.jango.com/music/The+O+Jays?l=0

Did that send a chill through you? The lead is basically making this woman understand he is thankful she chose him to love and live and learn this world together. It doesn't matter that his bank account hasn't reached balla status, that he isn't driving a Range, he is not even concerned about the layoffs at his job. This man is proclaiming true love to his woman. Plain and simple.

What happened to those days? The crooners with passion like The O'Jays, Frankie Beverly & Maze, Marvin, Luther, The Whispers, Al Green, Teddy P, Alexander O'Neal, and even DeBarge. Those gentlemen would wear their suits while adding sweet melodies to the reality of real love and commitment, not just physical interaction. This movement seemed to die out when the New Jack era hit the stage. Those fellas wore baggy jeans, combat boots and a hat to the back ready to hit it and quit it. R. Kelly & Public Announcement, Jodeci and H-Town wanted to knock your boots and go half on a baby. Granted, those songs have their place and I am not disputing their purposes. But, I truly miss the soul stirring, made you want to be in a relationship and believe that true love exists type of music.

I am glad to know there are a few brothers holding it down today on lovers' lane. And I do mean very few. Eric Benet, Kem, Maxwell, and others may not reach platinum status within a year's time of an albums' release. But, they aren't afraid to reveal their vulnerability and the yearning had to fill their hearts with all the love a woman has to offer. Check these lyrics:

Eric Benet, "I Wanna Be Loved"--
"I wanna be loved, Faithful and true. I wanna be loved, 10 million lifetimes with you. I wanna be loved, and after all I've been through...I'll let my heart take it's chances, just to be loved by you."

Kem, "I Can't Stop Loving You"--
"And I can't stop loving you, I can't help myself. And I can't get over you, no matter what I tell myself baby."

Maxwell, "Fortunate"--
"Fortunate to have you girl, I'm so glad you're in my world. Just as sure as the sky is blue, I bless the day that I found you."

And, even though this brother was a one hit wonder, please believe this is a serious love jones.

Jesse Powell, "You"--
"I've finally found the nerve to say, I'm gonna make a change in my life starting here today. I surrender all my love, I never thought I could. I'm giving all my love away and there's only one reason that I would. And baby it's yooooou."

Real talk, if I don't have that unconditional love these brothers are feeling...if I can't be with a man who has that "hurt-sometimes" passion for me...if I can't be 100% Buttafly and let him see my flaws and all (Beyonce spoke on that song), then I'll keep flying til I meet my mate of soul.

I gotta have that Old School Love...

4 comments:

  1. Girll...I love this post and those are some of my fave songs that just touch my soul.

    I am still waiting on mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. JMC, thanks for showing some love on my spot. It's nice to hear from a fellow follower of Belle's blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy the postings from you ladies. It is refreshing to find quality "reads" from Sistas who possess many of the things I aspire to be. Strong, intelligent, beautiful, down to earth, but most of all honest with your readers and with yourself.

    I am addicted to you alls sites:-)

    Thanks giving me a place to hang out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Byrd,

    Now that's what I'm talking about... thanks for keeping it real!

    Teri

    ReplyDelete