Saturday, January 3, 2009

Mr. Unavailable

Uh oh, girls. This is the moment we all loath. You see an attractive man, he happens to know someone in your circle, which means you will see him again, there is a chemistry between you, but you avoid this at all costs because someone has papers on him. No, really, she has papers on him and carries his last name. You brush it off as you have for Denzel, LL, Jay Z, Sean Connery (my AARP crush), and all the other sexy men who are unavailable. It is just plain wrong and immoral to waste another thought on someone else's man. I thought this story would be the same. Until it happened...

Yep, he crept into my dreams last night. I thought my short-term (normally 5 days max) Unavailables crush was over. I assumed I tossed him over into the sea with all my other Unavailables weeks ago on his expiration date. So, why was he in my dreams?

The dream begin with a scene in a clothing boutique. I was shopping for an occasion that required a jazzy look, without glamor. I headed to the dressing room to try on the cutsie, colorful cocktail dresses, and POOF! That scene ended and I am now standing in front of a house. It was actually my mother's neighbor's home. As I stooped down to draw a chalk object on the concrete (I have no clue why I was doing this), Mr. Unavailable shows up. We sit Indian-style on the concrete of this very still, quiet street. We didn't touch, we didn't laugh, we only spoke. The conversation was very short, and there many quiet moments. Although there was no obvious flirting, I could feel the unspoken chemistry in my sleep. He didn't have to say anything...I didn't have to acknowledge it...it was there. Suddenly, the circle of friends showed up, and we all began to walk and talk on the street. Then, I woke.

I don't know what that is about. I truly thought I was rid of him. Now, I have to sit here and rebuke any and all unconscious thoughts I clearly have of him. There is one rule that I have and will always follow. All Unavailables will remain untouched by me. I don't care how fly, how dark and handsome, how nice, how charming he is...the man is dead to me. There is absolutely no flirting allowed. Others may disagree, but there is no such thing as harmless flirting. Any smidgen of charming exchange almost always leads to something else. It will only end if one person has a conscious or the paper holder causes harm to both parties.

Thoughts lead to Words...which lead to Actions...that forms Habits...which shapes Character.

I got some soul searching to do over here. Pray with me girls....

1 comment:

  1. Sean Connery?! Really?! LOL!! That's all. As for the other part, a dream is a dream and you already know that you would never act on feelings for him. So maybe the dream was your way of letting the crush go.

    ReplyDelete