Friday, February 27, 2009

Lauryn Hill: I salute u

Today, I stumbled across of a pic of my girl, Lauryn Hill on Essence.com. It was a throwback where Ms. Hill sports the raw, shoulder-length, luscious locs. Back when she openly poured her for-real love with every brown girl with a heart. It reminded me of the time where The Miseducation of was at the peak of the "real music" list.

My on and off again relationship with the Psychiatrist I dated while at AAMU was strengthened because of this CD. Okay, let me stop playing. The relationship was not strong at all...hence the back and forth games we played. The point is, he was the only straight guy who felt me on the lyrics penned. We would literally play each track, analyze the meaning behind it, and let the CD play over and over. Man, those were the good ole days.

Just while I strolled down memory lane, "The Sweetest Thing" played on XM radio.

{oooooooo, that's my song.}

Had to share the love with you....

The sweetest thing I've ever known
Was like the kiss on the collarbone
Soft caress of happiness
The way you walk, your style of dress
I wish I didn't get so weak
Ooo, baby, just to hear you speak
Makes me argue just to see
How much you're in love with me
See, like a queen, a queen upon her throne

Chorus:
It was the sweet, sweet,sweetest thing I know,
It was the sweet, sweet, sweetest thing I know

I get mad when you walk away (don't walk away)
So I tell you leave, when I mean stay
Warm as the sun dipped in black
Fingertips on the small of my back
More valuable than all I own
Like your precious, precious,precious, precious dark skin tone

Chorus

Bridge:
It was the...
Ah...I tried to explain (I can't explain it...I can't explain it)
Ah...but baby, it's in vain
Speaking on my mother's phone
The touch that makes me think I'm grown, (you ain't grown)
Sweet prince of the ghetto
Your kisses taste like amaretto
Intoxicating, oh, so intoxicating
How sad, how sad that all things come to an end
But then again, I'm, I'm not alone

Chorus

Ah...Sometimes watch you in your sleep
Ah... Excuse me if I get to deep (Hey!)

Here's to Ms. Hill and the hope she will return to bless is with a dose of good soul music. I salute you.

Ciao.


P.S. Speaking of the good-good music , what ever happened to Maxwell's new 3-fold CD. Wasn't it supposed to drop early this year??? Saw him at the Fox a few months ago...got me feening for the vocals...

1 comment:

  1. that is one of my all time fave cd's...

    i actualyl have to replace the Cd because my other one skips now:-(

    brings back memories..lol

    ReplyDelete