Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Coolest Cuttas--ATL Fellas

He asked me not to blog about him. So, I won't.

But, I will say this, my ATL men are the coolest cuttas around. Born and raised in Ben Hill (been real), the heart of the SWAT, I have always had a special love for my home-grown brothers. I am not talking about the transplants who claim Atlanta because they have lived here at least 10 years. I appreciate Luda and Usher for embracing the city's culture...and for loving it so much to rep it faithfully in their music. No matter how long the transplants remain here, they will never possess that finesse my A-Town brothers exude.

It's the walk, the slick game they may lay on you..or not. The "I can do anything you ask me too because I am THE man" attitude. They can be as simple as a stack of bricks, but still possess a certain charm to have you thinking of them at the oddest times. For the most part, the 28 and older crew are multi-dimensional brothers. Even my street hustlers are not simply thugs with cream.

Swagaliscious ATLiens like Tip, Andre 3000, Big Boi, Jeezy, Jermaine Dupri, Dallas Austin, Lil Duval, Brian Michael Cox, The Dream and Young Joc always represent. Even my throwbacks like Goodie Mob and Chris Tucker oozed of Atlanta flava. Every time I hear Bobby V's country twang during his interviews, I think of my high school days in College Park. And don't get me started on the original dream maker, Dr. M.L. King, Jr.

My love for the Atlanta man is as deep as my love for a plate of my momma's soul food dinners. And you know I don't play about sitting at her table very Sunday.

"A heaping helping of fried chicken, macaroni and cheese and collard greens too big for my jeans. Smoke steams from under the lid that's on the pot. Ain't never had a lot but thankful for the little that I got..." --Soul Food by Goodie Mob (1995)

For me, it just doesn't get any better than that...

No comments:

Post a Comment