Monday, March 23, 2009

Boo'd Up

Time is on my side...oh, yes it is. The Rolling Stones said it best, and I must piggy back off the emotions felt on that one.

If I allow my mind to travel back in time 5-10 years ago, my crew and I all engaged in the sport of flirting. Some of us had steadies with some light flirtation on the side. And others of us chose to refrain from any commitments...we flew freely amidst the universe. No strings. No check-ins. No need to see each other on a regular basis. No questions needed to be asked. We were "Playettes" if you will.

We weren't "fast" as my momma would say. Contrary to what people thought, very few brothers were privileged to share any form of intimacy with us girls. We flirted, graced the men with our presence, dressed impeccably, and kept it interesting. Creating and maintaining a team of men was a favorite past time. Having several male friends, we heard their stories and vowed never to be "that chick" to be caught up. We thought like men and enjoyed every minute of playing the field.

Fast forward to 2008. The year of Change. We finally elect a Black President to run this Nation and influence the myriad of people across the globe. And honey, the crew is also all boo'd up. Can you believe it? Personally, I cannot. I realize it is a natural progression in life for most women. But, we never planned to be like most. We never were ordinary. We were the black cast of our own Sex in the City for goodness sake!

Currently, a few of us girls are married while the rest are in committed relationships or headed in that direction. What is the world coming to??? 2 of us (one of those being me) used to run from serious relationships and thought the single life would run its course til we were 70. I would then search for a widower to help me zip the backs of my dresses. lol! Okay, maybe I didn't expect to be a Playette at that age. But, I surely didn't see all this coming for any of us so soon. Sure, we have all been in relationships that were pretty good in the past. But, nothing that caused me to think about my future. Well, except for the infamous X. Maybe he set the pace. Prepped me for where I am now. Hmmm, thank you X.

And let me say I am not that independent chick earning $150k, my dream loft in the city, the black drop top 6 series BMW, and a puppy named Pepper. I don't want to be Oprah living with some man in an unhappy house. I don't want to be the exec who is overly stressed and consumed with regular anxiety attacks. Bottom line, I refuse to be Sanaa Lathan's character from Something New....until ole blue eyes came in the picture and turned her world upside down for the better.

While I used to jam to Beyonce singing "Me, Myself, & I" a few years ago, things have changed for me. At one point the lyrics were therapeutic as it spoke to pain and frustration of the past. Today, I am well acquainted with myself. I think myself and I are truly best friends and know each other very well. I've enjoyed this part of life thoroughly. Wouldn't trade it. Thanks, Beyonce. However, just as you have, it's time for me and the crew to move on, girl.


Ciao.

2 comments:

  1. Oh how the time flies... I think that as we progress and get older, me move into new chapters in our lives. I think you just started a new one...

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete