Monday, February 2, 2009

Celebrating Chocolate Folk

Wait...I can't let this night end without celebrating my Black folk...since this month is supposed to be about us. I celebrate us 365, but I'll recognize the calendar today.

God created 80 million races across the globe. Yet, we still struggle with connection and embracing differences as well as similarities. Maybe apart of that is the internal struggle with one's own culture. Just maybe. I thank God I appreciate my culture, my skin, my nose, my body type, my curves, my lips, my kinky hair. I'm a grown woman and I can honestly say I appreciate my total being. Even the 5 pounds I lose and gain every year.

Don't get it twisted. As a child, I wanted to have long, silky hair without having the straightening comb or perm. I thought I was too dark. I was insecure about my short hair. I wanted to mirror the images I constantly saw on the billboards and in commercials and the dolls on the shelves at the toy stores. I didn't come from a family who discussed racial differences. My mom always told me I was beautiful. My dad told me I was his baby girl. But there were no real discussions. There were no questions asked about insecurities. It was just the fact that you will love yourself as you are and keep it moving.

By the time high school came around, my confidence reached 100. I was coming into my own style, the fellas were jocking, and I cut my hair boy short to fight against normalcy. Now I'm in my 20's...and honey you can't tell me black isn't beautiful.

From White Chocolate, to Creme, to Caramel, to Milk Chocolate, to Mocha, to Dark Cocoa to Crispy Black.

The black spectrum displays the range and depth we possess as a people mentally, in our personalities, spiritually, intellectually, and in our family lives. I don't know what it is to be Russian, Italian, Asian, German, Indian, Australian, or Latina. But, I do know my culture, I walk tall as I live it, and I'm proud to be double-dipped in this Mocha skin.

To all my fellow Black folk, I salute you. Don't you dare alter you for the old school society. Love your features, your complexion, your hair, your hips, your nose, your laugh, your need to bump that 808 every now and then in the speakers.

Know your full history, advance for yourself and your legacy, live the life you are destined for, expose your mind, explore this world, and embrace all cultures with respect and honor to our extended brothers and sisters.

With the sweetest love,

Buttafly

Nappy and Natural and Lovin' It...

2 comments:

  1. Well Said My Black Beauty :D

    and wishing you a Happy Start to the Chocolate History Month:-)... I like that!!!..lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LIKE IT and I LOVE IT! Beautimous, girlfried!

    ReplyDelete