Tuesday, February 17, 2009

V-Day Madness: Dance Fever

I would have been just fine watching countless movies, sipping some wine, and dance in the middle of my living room to some feel good music on V-Day. But, Ace insisted we leave the comforts of our home, hit the pavement, and paint the town red. We have seriously changed roles, here. I used to be the all knowing social butterfly. I kept my ear to streets and was aware of the what's what and the who's who in the city. This time, Ace is the one. She sent me scores of email invites and RSVP lists throughout the week to prepare for the weekend. She had 2 or 3 back ups for plans A,B and C.

Okay, so I agreed. Why not? Why not get cute and hit up the spots where single folks get down on V-Day. The purpose of this weekend did not include hating on love. We forbade reflecting on past relationships. It was considered unlawful to male bash. We were determined to celebrate the beauty of being single the entire weekend.

Ace, T and I decide to check out The Loft as the 1st spot of the night. We were met walking from the valet lot by the sweet sounds of uptempo R&B jams. The music of Guy, Frankie Beverly (you know that's my AARP boo) and Chaka...I think. Heck, I can't recall it all because my feet made circles on the floor practically all night.

Mind you, that was not part of the plan. Because I haven't visited this social spot in a few years, I planned on smiling, meeting, greeting, laughing, bobbing my head and hitting a 2 step every 20 minutes or so. After all, I wore my cutesy silk blouse that outlined the waist, trouser jeans, and 5-inch stilettos that were crafted beautifully for the purposes of walking short distances and standing still for admiration.

Yeah, well all that was shot when they played Frankie. A handsome fellow dressed as if he came straight from work pulled me towards the floor. There are no rules against dancing tonight. I hit my cute 2 step with ease as I am acutely aware that silk will stick to the skin if sweat glands work over time. I stopped dancing to sweat a long time ago. So, I'm good. I have this under control. The next song comes on, and I keep dancing. Dance Fever clearly has not been out in a while either because he is giving it his all. 5 songs later, I am fanning with a card stock party flyer trying to cool down. I should take a break right? If the deejay would play something that is not my jam I could take that walk to the powder room.

I look over and I spot Ace is on the floor getting her groove on with Lucky Charm and T is partnered with Green Giant. I am suddenly having flashbacks of my collegiate days in Alabama. Dance Fever asks me if I am good as he he begins to playfully brag on his dancing stamina. Apparently, he plans on grooving until the lights come on. As much as I would love to, I can't do that my brother. My feet have 2 more songs to jam too.

At that very moment, I thanked God for my locs. This is the first time in a very, very long time that I was not concerned about the condition of my hair. No matter how much I may perspire, or how many times my Dance Fever dips or spins me around, my hair remained fab. Yes...another reason I am happy to be nappy.

I digress. The 2 song limit has arrived, and my feet are begging me to chill out. Just as I mention my time out, Dance Fever gently blows on my neck in an effort to make me stay. Oh, how cute is that. Ha! Flirtation is certainly the name of his game. And he has it down-packed too. Seems like a cool brother and is very easy on the eyes. But, my brother, I am sorry to say the neck blowing is not going to get you anywhere with me. I am just having a bit of fun tonight.

I bid him a brief farewell as I am sure we will bump into one another again in this intimate setting. I head to the ladies room to get my self back together. Ace follows and we give each other updates on our dance partners. We chuckle on their dance moves and flirting techniques as we re-apply lip gloss, toss the hair, and fan ourselves with folded paper towels. After a final look in the mirror, I playfully blow a kiss at my reflection, wish myself a Happy Valentine's and head back out to the party.

Posted up on the wall near the door, the girls and I take some time to check out the scenery. I don't see Dance Fever. He is probably blowing on someone else's neck by now. Boy, do your thing. We are all having a good time tonight. Just as I was making a comment to Ace about our next move, Hershey walks by. I saw him earlier and immediately took note of his swag (yes, I know the term is in overkill...but I love Tip...so I carry the torch), his good looks and that Mocha skin. Not moved by the physical, I continue talking to Ace. Hershey walks by again, but this time he heads my way.

"Excuse me?"

I turn to look at him, replying "Yes?"

He flashes the mother of pearls saying, "Oh, I thought you were someone else I knew."

"No...I don't think we've met before."

"But, I am glad we're meeting now."

Uh oh...Hershey is a cutie pie. Focus, girl....

No comments:

Post a Comment